The CAST Boot Conversion allows you to keep rocking the alpine boots you know and love, while adding tech compatibility for super-efficient touring. Please read on to make sure we can modify your boots and get them back to you in a timely manner.
How to Get Started with a Boot Conversion
Make sure we can modify your boot
See details below.
Purchase the Boot Conversion
*You can do that here.
Ship us your boots
with name and order # inside of the box.
Cast will add tech inserts
to your ski boots and ship them back.
- Start touring in your favorite ski boots.
Boot Conversion Tech Details
Boots we can modify:
- Any hard soled boot or plug boot. These are boots without a replaceable sole. We'll throw on our own custom rubber tread lifters for better grip and protection. This means you won’t have to replace your boots just cause the soles start wearing thin.
- Boots with Alpine (ISO 5355) replaceable soles on them. We will modify those soles and your boots for tech compatibility. Our standard conversion maintains ISO 5355 so your boots will test and function properly in all your alpine bindings. Most new boots are now coming stock with a Gripwalk sole. We recommend reaching out to your local shop or boot manufacturer to see if you can get the alpine soles (ISO 5355) for your boots, so we can modify them.
- Kids boots with ISO 5355 Type A soles. The A stands for an adult sole. These are generally kids boots mondo size 21.5 and bigger. Check the bottom of the boot to find these specs.
- Common Boots we Modify are…Atomic Hawx, Dalbello Panterra or Krypton, All Full Tilt Boots, Tecnica Mach1*, Salomon Max* or Pro*, Lange RX, LX, or RS. We modify other boots as well; these are just the most common.
*Older version of these boots might have a replaceable LUG that we cannot modify
Gripwalk Sole Modification
There are a few boots we can add a Gripwalk sole to. Boots we can add a Gripwalk sole to are Solid/Hard soled boots or the Tecnica Mach 1 or Cochise. These boots you have an option to put either an Alpine sole on or a Gripwalk sole on. All other boots will maintain the standard Alpine (ISO 5355) sole.
Already have Cast converted boots and need replacement soles?
If you already have Cast converted boots and need replacement soles, please email us at email@example.com and we can put together an order to ensure you get the correct boot soles.
- $60 for Cast stock replacement soles and custom Full Tilt soles.
- $90 for all other custom soles and GripWalk soles.
Boots we CANNOT modify:
- Any boot with a glued Vibram sole like older, non-tech AT boots, Telemark boots or Mountaineering boots.
- Kids boots with an ISO 5355 Type C sole. The C stands for child sole. These boots are generally kids boots smaller than a 21.5 mondo size.
- Boots where the whole toe lug comes off. A toe lug is where the whole toe comes off versus a replaceable sole. Some examples of these boots are boots from Salomon, Tecnica, or Black Diamond from around 2015 or older.
- All DaleBoots.
- Snowboard boots.
Boots with a Gripwalk or WTR sole on it need to be replaced with an Alpine (ISO 5355) sole before sending them in. If you have a boot with these soles, we recommend visiting your local ski shop to see if they offer Alpine (ISO 5355) replacement soles for your model boot.
Make sure boots with replaceable soles are not worn down as we can not modify a sole that is worn down and you will pay return shipping. It is also a good idea to have your boot modified with new soles so you can get the most life out of your modified boots.
Bindings that modified boots work with:
Bindings that can be used with one of our converted boots would be the Cast Freetour Pivot, Salomon, Atomic, or Armada Shift, or the Marker Duke PT. These are all bindings that use tech pins for the uphill but convert back to a normal alpine binding for the way down.
Our tech inserts are designed to only work for uphill travel. This means they can not be used for downhill. Example of a binding our tech inserts do NOT work with would be the Marker Kingpin or Fritschi Tecton.
Does anyone else modify boots?
Yes, we have partnered with two other retailers around the world this year. We have these shops listed below and on our retailer list. Reach out to them directly to schedule your boot conversion. Prices can very between shops with boot conversions.
Pjäxgaraget - Karolinervägen 101, 837 71 Duved, Sweden
Sole Boot Lab - 14 Chemin des Pouvolles, 74400 Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France
Want to do the Boot Conversion Yourself?
We do offer all the parts for sale for you to convert your boots yourself. We do not recommend this as this is a very involved process. We have two videos below outlining the process. We highly recommend watching these videos before attempting to convert your ski boots. If you feel you can perform this modification yourself, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order.